Tuesday, February 2, 2010

NYC/SanFran

NEW YORK, NEW YORK THAT TOTTLING TOWN

Ceasar and I at the 2nd Ave/10th Street "pad". I had a studio down on the Bowery that I shared with Tamerind who had a litho press there to print for some NY artists. Previously had sub-let a beautiful loft 3 blocks up Broadway from Union Square.
I ecked out a living by printing lithographs for other artists at Chiron Press on the 2nd floor of 831 Broadway just south of Union Square. This is the building where Willem de Kooning had the top floor loft in the early 60s. Paul Jenkins had that studio when I was there. I think Elaine de Kooning had the 4th floor and Pratt Graphics Center was on the 3rd floor.

Acrylic 48 x 60 A carry over from Indy.

"4:45" 42 x 50 Acrylic

Bather, bottom half of a diptych Acrylic 50 x 42

Director's Chair Acrylic 44 x 5o
Intaglio print

Intaglio print

"Caesar and Friend" Intaglio Print 30 x 22 the last print

IMAGINE TONY BENNETT SINGING "I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO"

In the studio at #1 Enterprise Street, San Fransisco Leaning on the soft wall. I got this loft from a friend, Janet Stayton when she and her husband moved to Japan. She now has a studio in Italy that is beyond beautiful. I taught figure drawing at Stanislaus State College in the evenings and did some lithography printing at the S.F studio of Tamerind Press.



The bed was on a platform over the kitchen.


Me and Ceasar. He was not pleased to be in the picture. Poor Ceasar shared the journey all the way. He'd rather have had a yard with grass, I think.

This one was about 60 x 72

This was 72 x 84 Don't remember the titles but they don't mean anything.

Below are examples of a series of "drawings", colored pencil and air brushed acrylic on 22 x 30 Arches Cover.

I had an exhibition of the 13 drawings in Indianapolis.
This one sort of ripped a hole in a landscape the ripped out the corner of the room. A little bit "organic".






At this point I came back to the southeast for a visit. My mother lived in Ft Walton Beach, Fla. The beach was beautiful, so were the golf courses and I just stayed awhile. Later moved to Mobile, Alabama, got registered as an architect and practiced that profession for 30 years. Yuk!

Three years ago I hung up my virtual tee square and started painting and then drawing again.

































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment