Friday, February 12, 2010

Indianapolis- Prints and Drawings

I came to the Herron School of Art in Indianapolis straight from grad school at Tulane. I taught a few foundation courses and took over the printmaking area that was set up by Garo Antreasean who was all lithography and something of a "techie". He went to New Mexico I think and ended up involved with the establishment of Tamerind Press in L.A. There was no etching press. a problem for me since intaglio and relief printing were my area. To be honest I'd never printed a lithograph in my life. We got through the first year and had a press the next. Someone else came in to teach lithography.





this is a colograph. Textures to hold ink are built up on a piece of masonite, lines were cut into it. It's bout 20 x 28 The bird is there.



this intaglio print is on zinc. The plate is cut into 3 pieces and each was inked with a different "black" about 24 x 30




A two piece print. I also printed this one white on white instead of red. It has aquatint, soft ground and lift ground. About 24 wide



This is a pretty straight forward intaglio print, Primarily aquatint and etched lines. 18 x 24 A diamond pattern is emerging that comes from the leaded glass windows in my studio. I'm still using it.

This one's got it all. aquatint, lift ground, engraving,and the shading of the face was done with a roulette. It's a two piece plate with different blacks. 18 x 24


Pretty much all aquatint and lift ground. Two piece plate. About 24 x 30



This is a tour-de-force of Aquatint, lift ground and roulette. 24 x 22



Below are 3 lithographs that I did for some reason. Mostly tush and litho pencil. about 36 x 24
In their infinate wisdom the last one was purchased by the Museum of the Chicago Art Institute. I had a dozen prints that I would have preferred them to have.





this litho is like a figure study drawn on the stone. 30 x 22







Charcoal and gold spray paint. 30 x 40




Graphite and crayon. dyptic 18 x 24 each


A labor intensive graphite drawing with all the symbols. 22 x 30




This drawings is reminiscent of a painting from Atlanta many moons ago.


Charcoal ca. 44 x 36


No comments:

Post a Comment